Sunday, May 16

Flying (from) WV...maybe.

Evening, friends.

As Candace notes, we find ourselves in the middle of two breaking transportation stories in the UK.

Last Friday morning (at 3 a.m. no less!!), I received a text from British Airways. Our flights had been canceled. The airline's trade union, Unite, has come to an impasse in its bargaining talks. Therefore, the cabin crews are set to walk off the job tomorrow. Consequently, BA had to work with other carriers so not as to strand passengers around the globe (including Candace and me).

When BA's customer call center opened at 7 a.m., I thought I'd be the first one on the line. But somehow, I found myself on hold for...72 minutes. But once I talked to the friendliest service agent in history, I was able to expeditiously change our travel plans. As for getting home, not quite sure yet!!!

Then, there's breaking story #2. The Icelandic volcano. Although I'm a typically a big fan of all things Iceland -- long days of sunshine in the summer, the amazing band Sigur Ros -- I can't say I adore this volcano.

It does have a cool name, though -- Eyjafjalljoekull. Take a look at this YouTube clip for a laugh:


In any case, Heathrow's shut its doors until the ash cloud clears its airspace. Not sure what that means for our travels yet.Link

But, as always, it makes for another great story. And journalists always love those.

A demain, Jan


No comments:

Post a Comment